Monday, July 9, 2012

ECHO


The field trip to ECHO was very educational and interesting. We learned a lot about what ECHO stands for and how they operate.

ECHOs goal is to improve the effectiveness of poor farmers efforts. They do so by providing hard-to-find food plants and seeds, learning how to grow foods in urban areas, and showing people how to grow food under harsh conditions. 


Above is a picture of some bamboo that was being grown at ECHO. Bamboo is a very sustainable resource because of its fast growth. 


Above is a strawberry from a plant being grown at ECHO. I love strawberries and I realize should have asked them how I can grow my own!



Above is a picture of different types of sand. 

ECHO has so many different types of plants and they are all being grown in different climates. It is very interesting to me how you can recreate so many different climates all in the same place. 

The efforts ECHO is putting forth are so great and are really making a difference in the world. I think it is wonderful that they are building facilities in Africa to spread the reach of the program. 






No comments:

Post a Comment