Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Service Learning Project


For my service learning project I chose to volunteer at the Koreshan State Park. 




I had never been to the park before and I had no idea what it was actually all about. It was very interesting to see all of the old buildings and read about the parks history. 

"The colony, known as the Koreshan Unity, believed that the entire universe existed within a giant, hollow sphere. The colony began fading after Teed´s death in 1908, and in 1961 the last four members deeded the land to the state. Today, visitors can fish, picnic, boat, and hike where Teed´s visionaries once carried out survey experiments to prove the horizon on the beaches of Collier County curves upward." (http://www.floridastateparks.org/koreshan/)




The volunteer work was actually really hard! They had me digging up tress and potting them to be sent to the nursery. I also chopped down a lot of palms from the palm trees in the park. Lastly, I sprayed poison on invasive plant species and picked up trash that littered the park. 




No comments:

Post a Comment